Following an informal discussion between a small group of FAOs in the mid-90's, the FAO Association (FAOA) was officially incorporated with the Commonwealth of Virginia in 1995. After 20 years, the FAOA remains a chartered organization -- established for military and civilian professionals who are dedicated to promoting esprit-de-corps and networking among past and present FAOA members and the FAO, Attaché, and other international affairs communities.
The FAOA was thankful to host (Ret.) US Army LTG Bob Ashley as our distinguished speaker for the 25th Anniversary virtual forum in 2021.
LTG Ashley reminded us to recall and memorialize our significant milestones. Some of these include:
- In a five-year timeframe, raised more than $150,000 in Corporate sponsorships and membership fees, sustaining reach to over 2,000 members during the COVID-19 pandemic;
- Through the pandemic, continued our FAO outreach programs through virtual forums, such as the distinguished speaker event co-sponsored with the Association’s newest partner, The Cipher Brief. The Forum discussed preparation and future FAO role for Great Power Competition in the Transatlantic. Panel guests included the Atlantic Council Scowcroft Center for Strategy and Security, the Russia Strategic Initiative, and former SDO/DATT (Moscow) and chief of the Navy’s FAO Community Policy Branches;
- Established Writers Award Programs at several professional military education schools, including all War Colleges. As an example, the National Intelligence University recognizes their FAO Association award after a designated FAO Pioneer, the Lieutenant General Vernon A. Walters Award for International Affairs; and,
- Published since the founding of the Association, the FAOA Journal of International Affairs evolved to an e-Journal with the goal to return to one hard-copy annually in 2022.
The FAOA also fulfilled two Charter goals:
- Established chapters in Monterey, California; the Roger H.C. Donlon Chapter at Fort Leavenworth/Lawrence, Kansas, and most recently in South Korea; and,
- Finalized the FAO Heritage Pentagon Exhibit that features a “Cold War” DIA Director who the FAO Association in collaboration with military historians designated as FAO Founder, Lieutenant General Samuel Vaughn Wilson.
None of these accomplishments would be possible without your very thankful individual or Corporate sponsor contributions and it is our desired goal to re-group for an on-site 25th Anniversary celebration in 2022.
WE NEED YOUR HELP over the next year to continue the legacy and foundation of the FAOA for another 20 years. Along with the existing Member/Corporate sponsor level options, FAOA is asking for your additional considered support, in the following ways:
Platinum Sustainment ($2,500) or Diamond Lifetime ($5,000):
The production and mailing costs for one hard-copy FAOA International Affairs Journal is over 6K. The FAOA would like to sustain at least one print per year. If you choose to support this option, at your discretion, we can add your individual name or company logo in all future FAOA journals on our website. Additional advertisement options are also available (See ad rates)
Monthly direct deposit (FAOA Legacy).
If there was an option to contribute from monthly bank account including company direct deposit, please send an email to email@example.com
and arrangements can be established.
The FAOA Board is very thankful for past contributions and generous support -- you have made the FAOA what it is today. To continue, over the next month, due to new website service contract terms, you will received an additional email and we will be phasing out non-paid or inactive memberships to reduce operating costs -- so it is very important, if you'd like to remain a member and be included in our FAOA email list for announcements and other benefits, this will now include a $10 membership fee. We also ask that if you are active due paying member, you stay current on your membership renewal.
The FAOA is a 501c(19) non-profit organization dedicated to the professional development of and advocacy for the FAO community. All content, unless otherwise noted, is copyrighted by the FAOA 2015. FAO Association, PO Box 295, Mt Vernon, VA 22121.